A Short History

For a much longer and more speculative history, read Maurice Ray’s Suggested History of Ickenham Hall or A table of chronology

Ickenham Hall stands on land that has been farmed for probably over a thousand years. It is known that a family called Crosier (which has given its name to a nearby road) was farming the site as Yeoman farmers in the 11th century. Between then and the 14th century they built themselves a farmhouse to replace the mud, brick and thatch hut in which they had lived. So substantial was their new home that it had a name – ‘Cherwyns’. In 1416 John Crosier changed its name to ‘Sherwyns’.

Over the years the family had acquired other fields and meadows including a three acre strip known as ‘Reynolds Close’. This strip of land adjoins the land on which the Hall and Compass Theatre now stand. As they prospered and their land holding increased the Crosiers became increasingly influential. In 1700, the Crosiers were declared no longer ‘Yeomen’ but ‘Gentlemen’ farmers.

To demonstrate their new status in the community they demolished ‘Sherwyns’ and built on its site Ickenham Hall. It is a very substantial building with a suite of panelled formal rooms, seven bedrooms, five cellars and at least two attic rooms. The site included a range of outbuildings; another cottage and range of outbuildings stood on the adjoining ‘Reynolds Close’.

In those days the road we know as Glebe Avenue was a flat muddy farm lane called Glebe Lane. The Crosiers had sold up to the railway company in 1900 and in 1902 a railway was built. In 1904 the first train (steam driven) ran through the village. After a petition from the Parish Council the railway company agreed to build a ‘halt’ on Glebe Lane and trains began to stop there.

The railway company realised they did not need the rest of the land and so sold it back into private hands. The land remained private until 1947 when the then Middlesex County Council bought it. From 1947 Ickenham Hall has been used for a variety of purposes. Uses included youth services, art centre, school, rehearsal rooms and meeting rooms. Since 1990 the Hall has served as Council Offices for the Youth and Music Services.